2 Major Flaws of an Extreme Mindset
I am writing this article with the intention of all-inclusiveness in the first person so that you also read this in the first person.
Mindset
Mindset consists of beliefs that form a perception of the world and myself in it. It has an influence on thoughts, feelings and behaviour in situations. This means that what I believe about myself significantly impacts my success or failure. As we know there are mainly two categories of people, those with a growth mindset and those with a fixed mindset. In this article, I will learn about the problems with the mindset of an average person. These are 2 big problems which according to me have led to a surge in mental health problems, even more since the pandemic.
Problem with believing that Everything is in my control
When I believe that everything is under my control, the message that I give to myself and to those around me is that I have the superpower to control everything. The subtle belief behind this attitude is basically that I am either a superhuman or god-like controller. This is a very flawed belief that ultimately leads to big disappointments in the long term. These disappointments invite mental health problems like depression and anxiety. Now, these negative feelings will further invite negative people and negative habits. At the end of the day, I have become a self-destructive person who still is trying to control my feelings through short-term pleasures. Clearly, this mindset is not working.
Problem with believing that Nothing is in my control
When I believe that nothing is under my control, the message that I give to myself and to those around me is that I am helpless, hopeless and hapless. I probably do not even believe in myself if I think that nothing is in my control because I am unable to see what actually is in my control. This is also a flawed belief system where I put myself down. This indicates a lack of motivation to think of a solution outside the box which might work. It is also a pessimistic type of thinking which might just lack logic but is heavily driven by sorrow. At the end of the day, I again become self-destructive and still believe that nothing can be done.
Conclusion - what works?
Both of these mindsets is that they are toxic. What is toxic in the mind will only invite toxic substances from outside even in the form of people and thoughts. Hence, what works is to be mature enough to understand that in this world there are both. Things in my control and things beyond my control. If I understand this properly, then it is possible to make some meaning out of the life that I have got and live it with grace. There is a list of things that fall under both of these brackets, it would be useful to sit and patiently focus on what actions can I take from the list of things I can control. At the same time, having acceptance towards things that are beyond my control and leave it there.
Comments
Post a Comment